Monday, June 23, 2008

First Full Day

Today began with an amazing 45 minute journey across Lake Victoria to the orphan chimpanzee reserve known as Ngamba Island (see photos). On the way back, we stopped on the equator where it is believed fish swim in confused circles :) After a bag lunch, we visited the Uganda Wildlife Education Center for a tour of the rescued animals (Colobus monkeys, warthogs, black rhinos, a lion, hyenas) followed by a discussion on conservation and some sharing of curriculum ideas. One orphaned monkey jumped up on Principal Shaw and snatched a banana right out of his backpack. Back at the Boma House we enjoyed a barbecue of freshly caught tilapia-kabobs. Delicious! We leave tomorrow at 6:45 for Fort Portal. Good night!

4 comments:

Christie Wyman said...

Steve -- How does it feel to be mugged by a primate?! That's priceless! I sure hope someone got that on film!

Christie

Unknown said...

Cindy. I hope you tried the kabobs. I bet they were great! It sounds amazing so far. I love that I can check and see what you're doing each day. Hope you are well-A

Unknown said...

Congratulations to everyone from Bill and Carolyn Stutt - your efforts will be greatly appreciated!

While you have a lot of work ahead of you - it also looks as though you will have lots of time for unexpected happenings, i.e. the monkey stealing the banana; interesting journeys and photo-ops beyond imagination!

Have fun, stay safe and a special hug with our love to Kate Brewer, our daughter.

The Mahr Boys said...

I love you Mommy! I miss you. Please come back soon! I'm going to be a Purple Belt tomorrow! I got a Baby Bottle-pop. From Ian

Hi Mom. I miss you. I'm having a great time with Grandma. Jordan gave me an early present. Guess what it was....an Ugly Doll named Babo! I love you. From Mike